Sunday, January 13, 2013

First Day...

Blessed are we who get to have wishes come true time and again.  It is because of the generosity of many big hearts that I get to be here in Nepal again to continue to learn with Nepali students about the birds they share this diverse slice of Earth with.

I want to thank some of the people who have made it possible to be here.  Firstly, the plane ticket, living expenses, bird books and binoculars that I have brought to contribute to the students' weekly bird walk.  All this adds up so quickly and was made possible through contributions from Norm and Janet Pease who love the Himalaya and inspire our adventures with their spirit as well as funds, from Will and Julie Person and Susan Feagin, whose belief in adventuring fuels me.  Big thanks to Drew and Molly Robarts and Eagle Optics Binoculars for optical closeness to the birds!  Deep gratitude for the support of Paul Amstutz who trusts and believes in me and this project and is willing to take on the whole load at home and my daughters who are supporting each other well without me there.  My brother Kurt for technical support of the most generous kind.  My parents for help getting to the airport in SF and dear friend Shankar Pathak for the airport pick up on this end.  Thanks to all the friends all around this beautiful Earth...

Now, for some updating from Nepal...

January 12, 2013

This day began with the question, perhaps every day should ask, "What am I doing here?"  "Is this the best use of my life?"  I mean, really.  The other side of the planet?!  I promised myself that I would get outside my own comfort zone to make my fossil fueled expenditure count for something worthwhile.  I have my work cut out for me here.

Deep breathing and a welcome by a glowing, turquoise, White-throated Kingfisher on a wire helped create a calm arrival for my doubtful heart.  I worried that there may not be any students who could go birding today because of exams and school holidays.  When the big metal gate opened, there was a group of students waiting for me!  Most of them did indeed have exams and had to stay and study, but there was a group going to Nagarkot high in the surrounding hills and they had been waiting for me to come with them.  Of course I jumped right in, along with the other 24 people, to the brand new van (would be a 10 passenger where I come from) and we set off talking and laughing and singing globally beloved pop tunes.

The long drive was so worth it as we climbed above the smog into the bright colors of the high hills under a bright blue sky with the backdrop of the snow-capped peaks!  We spent the day looking for birds in the trees and shrubs around the villages and walking up to the tower.  Running out of gas just gave us more time up there.  This "borrowed" time was when we saw some really special birds.  Rufous-breasted Accentor, Black-throated Tit, Himalayan Bulbul, Nepal House Martin and Chestnut-crowned Laughingthrush among others.  This was the first time using binoculars and bird watching for most of this group.  Some of them were really turned on.  One of the bright-eyed boys told me, "This has changed me!  My life is different starting today because I have really seen birds!"  A bit later another new birder asked me, "What is the best way to help save birds?"  I answered with an elongated, "Education."




No comments:

Post a Comment